Sunday, January 4, 2009

Namaste

Greetings in this new year. I do not know Sanskrit nor do I practice any of the eastern religions where Namaste is used in conversation. I do however, take yoga, where the word is generally used as at the end of class with one's hands folded over the heart. I looked it up today after my practice and have opted to start my 2009 blog with Namaste because I think it is appropriate. While there are several meanings for the word--it is used both as hello and goodbye--much like aloha in Hawaii. But, the meaning that I take to heart is this one: the light in me honors the light in you. Or, I bow to the divinity in you. Here is why I believe this is more important today than ever. If peace is to replace war in the next decade then people everywhere must accept the notion that it is incumbent upon each of us to shine a little brighter. Whatever your personal feelings are about God, it does make sense that when we project light and positive energy rather than negative, the planet and its inhabitants stand to gain. My yoga teacher today said he was having a conversation with an Iranian doctor and the question of God arose. Kind of like the proverbial chicken and egg. Never the less, what struck me about their conversation was that the discussion centered on the notion that God may need our help. Hmmm--could it be that rather than looking up at the heavens wondering what God can do for us, we might ask what can we do to help. Eliminate the ego. That's a tough one for some of us and I'll raise my hand, first. Rather than concentrating on how the outcomes of our labor benefits us as individuals, simply enjoy the doing. When we become less self-centered, society stands to gain. Seems simple enough. If I can succeed in bending myself into a pretzel, surely I can work on being less ego-centric. Today, I start with Namaste. Pass it on.

No comments: