Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I have become my father

The ides of March are upon us. And, I have not tended to this blog since the new year. Already failed at my resolution. Perhaps it is because my mind these days is in turmoil, like the world about us. I have never listened to so much talk radio in my life and realize I have in fact become my father. He thinks it is funny. I had not planned on becoming a 74-year old white man before I managed to turn into a 50 year-old female. Since I cannot decide what to do with this blog--today I am just checking in. So much to say without offending the sensitivities of someone else. What a crazy, upside down world in which we all live. Is the universe just working out a few kinks--maybe embracing a new style of yoga and soon the planet will unfurl itself from its pretzel-state smoothing out in a year or so. There is no doubt that we have all needed to save more, be kinder to one another and think about what is truly important in life. But, we have swung so far--where is the balance. Are all corporations really greedy bastards? Have we forgotten the numbers of wealthy people in our communities who help support the arts, the homeless and a horde of other nameless philanthropic organizations? I agree with Glenn Beck--charity is a personal thing. The government should not force that on anyone. This democratic nation of ours seems to be fading into the sunset. And me and my father are starting to look a lot alike.

No comments: